When washing hands with soap and water use warm water, apply soap and rub hands for 20 seconds (sing Happy Birthday twice); rinse and dry thoroughly. If your hands are chafe, apply lotion.
When using an instant hand sanitizer or wipes: apply gel, rub product or wipe over all surfaces of hands and fingers until hands are dry.
When you should you wash your hands:
- Before and after preparing and eating foods
- after going to the bathroom
- before and after tending to someone who is sick
- after blowing, sneezing, coughing, or picking your nose
- after handling an animal or animal waste
- after handling garbage.
Follow these simple instructions and you can significantly reduce your risk of catching the FLU!
More information can be obtained at CDC.